Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Cultural Dance Fest 2012

On Sunday, I am going to be performing with Daughters of the New Moon at the JACC for the Juneau World Affairs Council's "Cultural Dance Fest 2012", part of their "I Am Juneau" series. Looks like a good line-up, not as long as I think it had originally been planned for, but the shorter time will make it doable for people to stay for the whole event if desired. Here's the schedule we were just sent:
    1:00 - Hula hoop students
    1:30 - Polynesian Dances
    2:00 - Yees Ku Oo Alaska Native Dance Group
    2:30 - City of Juneau Highland Dancers
    3:00 - Daughters of the New Moon
    3:30 - Janice Holst Dancers

So, if you're in the neighborhood... come by and watch and learn about these different styles of dance.  They've asked that each group give a short spiel about history, background, costumes, training, or what have you to help emphasize the 'cultural' side of things.  I'll be the one speaking for the troupe and I haven't decided if I won't have enough planned to say or if I have too many notes about what talk about and I'll have to cut back!  I don't want our performance set to bump into the next group because I was too wordy!

We have a dress rehearsal tomorrow, so I'll be spending some time steaming the wrinkles out of my long-packed green Eman costume.  I specifically chose not to perform with fan veils for this performance because I can't get quite the arm movement but my solo was needed to fill a prop void, so I'll be dancing with a regular veil this time.  It's been awhile and I'm rather looking forward to it!

It'll be fun! Hope to see you there!

No comments:

Post a Comment